size adj : (used in combination) sized; "the economy-size package"; "average-size house"
1 the physical magnitude of something (how big it is); "a wolf is about the size of a large dog"
2 the property resulting from being one of a series of graduated measurements (as of clothing); "he wears a size 13 shoe"
3 any glutinous material used to fill pores in surfaces or to stiffen fabrics; "size gives body to a fabric" [syn: sizing]
4 the actual state of affairs; "that's the size of the situation"; "she hates me, that's about the size of it" [syn: size of it]
5 a large magnitude; "he blanched when he saw the size of the bill"; "the only city of any size in that area"
1 cover or stiffen or glaze a porous material with size or sizing (a glutinous substance)
2 sort according to size
3 make to a size; bring to a suitable size
- Rhymes: -aɪz
- The dimensions or
magnitude of a thing;
how big something is.
- The size of the building seemed to have increased since I was last there.
- A specific set of dimensions for clothing etc. seen as fitting a
person or set of persons.
- I don't think we have the red one in your size.
- A number of edges in a graph.
- An assize.
dimensions or magnitude of a thing
a specific set of dimensions for clothing
- Finnish: koko
- German: Größe, Kleidergröße, Konfektionsgröße
- Hungarian: méret
- Japanese: サイズ
- Russian: размер
graph theory: a number of edges in a graph
dialectal: an assize
- ttbc Arabic:
- ttbc Chinese: 尺寸 (chǐcùn)
- ttbc Danish: størrelse
- ttbc Dutch: maat , grootte
- ttbc French: taille , grandeur
- ttbc Italian: misura , taglia , grandezza
- ttbc Korean: 크기 (keugi)
- ttbc Lithuanian: dydis
- ttbc Portuguese: tamanho
- ttbc Spanish: tamaño
- ttbc Swedish: storlek
- ttbc Telugu: పరిమాణము (parimaaNamu), సైజు (saiju)
- To adjust the size of; to make a certain size.
- To classify or arrange by size.
- In the context of "transitive|colloquial": To approximate the dimensions, estimate the size of.
to adjust the size of
- Finnish: ; sovittaa
- Japanese: 合わせる
to classify or arrange by size
to estimate the size of
- Finnish: ; arvioida koko
Etymology 2Origin uncertain, perhaps related to Etymology 1, above.
thin, weak glue intended to be painted upon
- Finnish: pohjuste
- Japanese: どうさ
- Finnish: liisteri
- Japanese: 糊
thickened crust on coagulated blood
- Finnish: rupi
- Japanese: 血糊
- To apply glue or other primer to a surface which is to be painted.
to apply primer to a surface which is to be painted
- Finnish: pohjustaa, pohjamaalata
- Japanese: どうさをひく
The word size may refer to how big something is. In particular:
- Dimensions: length, width, height, diameter, perimeter, area, volume
- Clothing sizes such as shoe size or dress size
- Body dimensions
- In statistics (hypothesis testing), the size of the test refers to the rate of false positives, denoted by α.
- In computing, filesize
- size (Unix), a command-line Unix tool.
- Magnitude or size of a mathematical object.
- Magnitude of brightness or intensity of a star or an earthquake as measured on a logarithmic scale.
- In mathematics there are, in addition to the dimensions mentioned above (equal if there is an isometry), various other concepts of size for sets:
Size can also refer to:
- Sizing, gelatinous or glutinous substances used as a glaze or filler for porous materials such as paper or cloth
size in Welsh: Maint
size in German: Größe
size in Modern Greek (1453-): Μέγεθος
size in Spanish: Tamaño
size in Dutch: Afmeting
size in Japanese: サイズ
size in Portuguese: Tamanho
size in Russian: Размер
adjust, albumen, amplitude, appraise, appreciate, area, assay, assess, assort, autopsy, batter, bigness, body, bolt, bonnyclabber, breadth, bulk, butter, calculate, calibrate, caliper, canvass, categorize, check, check a parameter, check out, check over, check up on, clabber, classify, collate, compute, cornstarch, cream, crown, curd, dial, dimension, dimensions, divide, dough, duodecimo, egg white, eighteenmo, enlarge, enormousness, estimate, evaluate, examine, expanse, extension, extent, fathom, folio, gauge, gaum, gel, gelatin, give an examination, glair, glop, glue, gluten, go over, goo, gook, goop, gradate, grade, graduate, greatness, group, gruel, gumbo, gunk, height, hugeness, immensity, imperial, inspect, jam, jell, jelly, judge, largeness, length, loblolly, look at, look over, magnitude, mass, match, measure, measurement, medium, mensurate, mete, meter, molasses, monitor, mucilage, mucus, observe, octavo, octodecimo, overhaul, overlook, pace, pap, pass over, pass under review, paste, peer at, peruse, plumb, pore over, porridge, postmortem, prize, probe, proportion, proportions, pudding, pulp, puree, putty, quantify, quantize, quarto, range, rank, rate, review, riddle, rob, royal, run over, scan, scope, screen, scrutinize, semifluid, semiliquid, separate, set an examination, sextodecimo, sieve, sift, sixteenmo, size up, sort, sort out, sound, soup, span, spread, starch, step, sticky mess, stretch, study, subordinate, super, survey, syrup, take a reading, take stock of, take the measure, treacle, triangulate, twelvemo, valuate, value, vastness, volume, weigh, weight, width